Want to book an event at the Red and Black? We think that’s a great idea! Please read our policies thoroughly below.
Make sure you read these policies, as you will need to agree to them in order to finalize your event at our space. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!
POLICIES FOR EVENTS
- Be aware of the café’s Safer Space Policy. This means that NO racist, sexist, homophobic or otherwise offensive behavior will be tolerated. If you violate the policy, you will be asked to leave. Period.
- Most of our events are free or by donation (for touring bands, speakers and benefits). Therefore, performers, speakers, etc do not get paid. In lieu of this, all artists will receive food and beverage at the worker discount, which is 33% percent off the menu price, plus a pitcher of beer / kombucha or the equivalent in food. This includes alcohol if the person is of age. We WILL check your ID, so please have it ready.
- Most of the events we host are free or by donation. While there is no fee for booking your event at the Red and Black, we take 30% of money taken at the door for music shows. Bands keep 70% of door sales and 100% of merchandise sales. We do not take money from the door for benefits.
- Be respectful of our workers and our space – please bus your own table(s) and encourage your friends / family / band / etc to do the same.
- Be respectful of your fellow patrons.
- Be respectful of our equipment and belongings. Check with a worker before moving tables, chairs, etc. It is also generally preferred for anyone hosting an event to check-in with a worker before setting up. Just a simple introduction to break the ice!
- In consideration of our upstairs and next door neighbors, we ask that events start on time, and end on time. Bands must show up at 6pm to check in, load equipment, etc. Events start at 7pm and MUST be done by 10pm unless other arrangements are made (we are occasionally able to stay open until midnight for larger shows).
- In addition to offering a community space, we work hard to make delicious food and beverages. Tipping is customary and appreciated!
- We have a DVD player, projector, and speakers for film screenings. We currently do not have a working P.A. or set of microphones. If you need those things, you are responsible for bringing them. Please let us know your exact audio / visual needs in the form below to ensure that we are adequately equipped for your event.
- Please check with the workers to see if your levels are acceptable. If they are too high, you will be asked to turn down.
- We reserve the right to cancel any event on the spot if it violates our Safer Space Policy. This is for the safety of our space and our community.
- Sorry, but NO COVERS. WE’RE SO SERIOUS ABOUT THIS. Unless you have thousands of dollars to cover the huge ASCAP fine or can give us all jobs if we get shut down, please don’t play covers.
- Finally, please respect these policies and come hungry (and often)!
Please allow up to 72 hours for the Booking Committee to respond before contacting us. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name
- Name of the event
- Date requested
- Short description of the event
- Long description of the event
- Pictures and/or website links with more information if possible
- Any Audio/Visual needs